What causes one's belly button to become infected?

I'm had a tenderness and pus in my belly button, so I think it's infected. What could causes
Skin problems in the belly button (or umbilicus) are not very common, but they can be very distressing. The doctors who will be qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. The most common cause of tenderness and pus from the belly button is indeed an infection of the area. The skin of the belly button, just like skin anywhere can become infected. In fact, it might be more prone to infection because it is a warm, moist environment for bacteria and fungi. Minor cases might respond to hygiene and a topical antibacterial or antifungal cream. However if there is significant redness and pain or fever, then this might be cellulitis, which is a more serious skin infection which will require antibiotics prescribed by your doctor. Occasionally, a small cyst or duct that extends from the belly button into the wall of the stomach may be present and may lead to this infection. This is called a urachal remnant, left over from fetal life, which sometimes requires surgery. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. If symptoms do not improve then setting up a visit with your doctor is strongly advised.