ZocdocAnswersWhat do three dots on the side of the penis mean?

Question

What do three dots on the side of the penis mean?

What could it mean if you just have three dots on the side of yor penis? I just noticed them and I really don?t think they've ever been there before. They're small, red, and the size of a freckle. Could this be some kind of disease?

Answer

There can be several causes for red dots on the shaft of the penis. One possibility is an infection of hair shafts, called folliculitis. These often look like 'whiteheads' and usually respond to good hygiene and maybe an antibacterial ointment. Another possibility would be herpes or another sexually transmitted infection. Herpes sores begin as small round blisters with clear fluid sitting on a red base. After they blister breaks they may develop into small sores. The herpes sores are usually quite painful or have a burning sensation. Another possibility would be a small cherry angioma, which is a benign formation of blood vessels. Similarly common moles can be red in color and can show up anywhere on the body. If you suspect a mole and it is greater than 6 mm, irregular or raised, has multiple colors, or is growing rapidly it should be checked out. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor might be advised.