ZocdocAnswersWhy are there white bumps around my pubic region?

Question

Why are there white bumps around my pubic region?

I'm a woman and I'm starting to develp a number of white bumps around my pubic region. They don't itch and they're not painful, but I still have no idea what they could be. Is this an STD or can you actually just get acne 'down there'?

Answer

White bumps in the pubic region could be one of several things. Any time you develop a new skin problem in your pubic area, you should consult with a qualified health care professional very soon. In this case, it is probably okay for you to see a primary care physician such as a family doctor or internal medicine doctor, or an OB / GYN. Non painful white bumps in the genital area could be just pimples. Pimples can develop down there because there are pores and hair follicles in the region. Another possibility is that they are genital warts. Genital warts are caused by the virus Human Papilloma Virus. It is transmitted sexually and causes small bumps with a light colored head. They are not painful and they do not burst. Finally genital herpes can cause white bumps, though these are usually painful and burning. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or OB / GYN, whoever you are most comfortable seeing for this type of thing. He or she can take a more detailed history of your white bumps (when they started what they feel like etc) and perform a thorough physical exam of them. Hopefully, you doctor will be able to get to the bottom of it.