ZocdocAnswersWhat causes itchy red dots to form on the scrotum?

Question

What causes itchy red dots to form on the scrotum?

I have itchy red dots on my scrotum. What could cause this? I'm worried that it could be an STD, but I don't know how to tell the difference between an STD, jock itch, or just ingrown hairs. What should I look for? Or should I just go to a clinic??

Answer

The most likely cause of the itchy red dots on your scrotum is simple an ingrown hair. These are caused when the hair shaft grows back down itself into the skin pore, causing swelling, redness, and itching sometimes. They can usually be treated just with good hygiene and occasionally with an exfoliating product. Whiteheads, or acne, can also form on the scrotum and can be treated similar to acne anywhere on the body although it is better to avoid harsh chemical acne treatments on the scrotum. Sexually transmitted infections can occur on the scrotum, although much more commonly appear on the shaft of the penis itself. The most common would be genital warts, which are flat, painless, flesh colored skin growths. Also herpes can occur, and causes very painful round blisters on a red base that rupture to form small sores. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor might be advised.