ZocdocAnswersDo kidney stones cause blood to appear in urine?

Question

Do kidney stones cause blood to appear in urine?

Do kidney stones cause blood to show up in your urine? I was diagnoseed with gout several years ago, so I know I'm at special risk for kidney stones. Now I have blood in my urine and I have to figure out whether it's kidney stones or an STD. Lucky me.

Answer

Yes, kidney stone do cause blood to appear in your urine. In fact, hematuria (blood in the urine) is a common diagnostic feature of a patient presenting with kidney stones. There are many other reasons to have blood in the urine, including kidney disease, prostate disease (for males) and bladder or urinary tract infections and it is important to see a doctor for a full evaluation if your symptoms persist or worsen. That being said, there are relatively few STDs that commonly present with bloody urine and so this is a less likely cause of your symptoms. however, if you are worried about having an STD, the absolute best thing to so is just go to your doctor or community clinic and get tested. It is very possible to have an STD without any symptoms at all and if you have engaged in unprotected or risky sexual behavior, getting tested is the only way to be sure that you are not infected. In terms of the kidney stone issue, blood in the urine is one of the symptoms. other symptoms include fevers and crampy, episodic pain that radiates from the low back to the groin. if you are experiencing these symptoms, it is necessary to get to a doctor as some kidney stones can cause severe complications (infection, kidney failure) if they are not properly treated. hope this helps!