Which foods can help reduce high blood pressure?

I'm a man with high blood pressure and I do want to get it down. My doctor went right to medication, but I feel there has to be a more natural way to handle this. I know I should exercise, but are there also foods I can eat to help bring my blood pressure under control?
High blood pressure is one of the most common medical conditions, and controlling it is very important as prolonged high blood pressure increases the risk of heart disease and stroke. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor and your cardiologist. There are indeed several dietary changes that can help to control blood pressure. For many patients, this can be part of an overall blood pressure lowering strategy that also usually includes medicine. In addition to exercise, weight loss, and stopping smoking, which have a very large impact on blood pressure, several dietary tips include: 1. Increase your daily consumption of foods containing potassium, such as bananas 2. Greatly reduced your intake of salt, both added salt and also processed and snack foods 3. Decrease your alcohol consumption 4. Cut back on your intake of caffeinated beverages, such as sodas and coffee. There are several natural remedies, such as garlic, which also may have a minor effect on lowering blood pressure. As always, the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your primary care doctor to discuss your concerns is advised.