Is it possible to keep blackheads from returning?

Is there a way to keep blackheads from returning? I have some enlarged pores on my nose that always seem to develop blackheads, and that says to me that I'm not keeping them clean. But washing my face more thoroughly doesn't seem to help and often seems to make it worse.
Blackheads are one of the most common skin conditions. Fortunately, they are usually not serious medically and can be managed with simple remedies. However if you have concerns, the doctors who could discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. Blackheads are one of two major forms of acne. The are caused by plugging open of pores in the skin by dead skin debris. The other major form of acne, whiteheads, are caused with the pores are plugged by closed, causing the buildup of white pus-like material. The major treatment of blackheads includes daily, regular skin hygiene, such as washing the face with a mild facial soap. It is important to avoid very harsh soaps as drying out the skin too much can also causes problems. If hygiene alone does not work then the addition of a comedonolytic, or skin debris removing agent, may be helpful. The safest and most common form of comedonolytic are those that contain benzoyl peroxide; there are many over the counter products in your local pharmacy that contain benzoyl peroxide. As always the diagnosis and the management of your specific condition would require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist might be recommended.

Nearby Dermatologists