Book now. It's free!

Should children stop showering with their parents by a certain age?

My son is 5 and still takes showers with his dad. I don't want to be totally body-phobic, but this is starting to seem unhealthy to me. What age is the right age for children to stop seeing their parents naked? Is there a risk of him being disturbed by this later in life?
Many parents have questions about the sexuality of their children and how this relates to their interactions with adults. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in depth include your child's pediatrician. There is no correct answer as to when children should stop bathing or showering with their parents. There is a great deal of variation in what different parents from different cultures are comfortable with. Although many parents do stop showering with their children around the time they enter preschool or school, this is not a hard and fast rule. The principle thing is to make sure your child grows up with a healthy body image. As he grows, he undoubtedly will become curious about his and your own or his father's genitals. This can be an excellent opportunity to educate the child about healthy bodies and their development. However, if these kinds of questions make you or his father uncomfortable or embarrassed, that might be the sign that it is time to stop. As always the oversight of normal child growth and development requires regular visits and examinations by your child's pediatrician. Scheduling an office visit with your pediatrician may be advised.

Other Pediatricians