ZocdocAnswersDoes vomiting empy the stomach of stomach acid?

Question

Does vomiting empy the stomach of stomach acid?

Does vomiting completely empty the stomach of acid? I've had morning sickness, so I've been vomiting a lot, and I already have trouble digesting things. Will I get incomplete nutrition from food if I eat too soon after vomiting? Are some foods better than others at that time?

Answer

Morning sickness is a common problem for many pregnant women. Fortunately, there are several common treatments that can be effective. The doctors who will be best qualified to discuss this issue with you are your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor. Morning sickness is a common problem that affects women largely in the early months of pregnancy. The good news is that it tends to go away after a few months! Also, morning sickness itself is responsible for the sensation that you have trouble digesting things. This is because it causes persistent nausea and loss of appetite. The best treatment for morning sickness includes avoiding becoming hungry, by eating very small, frequent meals. Avoiding foods that provoke queasiness is also important. Many women find that having a small snack of crackers or other bland food right away in the morning (even before getting out of bed) can prevent the more severe symptoms. Other common home remedies include taking a vitamin or drinking ginger tea. Of course, in rare cases, the vomiting can be so severe that it can impair nutrition and affect normal pregnancy weight gain. These cases are best managed by a doctor. As always, the diagnosis and the management of your specific condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. If the symptoms persist, it will be important to schedule an office visit with your OB / GYN doctor to discuss