Are females constipated more frequently than males?

I have a lot of trouble keeping my bowel movements regular, and I'm a young woman in my 20s. My dude friend, on the other hand, is never constipated and brags that he never will be. Is this just a guy - girl thing, or is there something I'm doing that's making me constipated?
Constipation is a common problem among both men and women. The doctors who would be well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor. Most of the common causes of constipation are equally shared between men and woman. These include things like low fiber diets, not adequate fluid intake, and stress. However, there are several causes of constipation that are specific to women. For example, the hormonal swings that are associated with monthly periods often cause constipation; this can be both from the hormones themselves as well as from the dietary changes that having a period often induces in women. Irritable bowel syndrome, a common cause of abdominal pain, cramping, and both diarrhea and constipation, is much more common in women than in men; although irritable bowel syndrome is not a serious medical condition, it can be quite distressing. Additionally, there are some more serious general medical problems that are more common in women than men. For example, low thyroid hormone levels are much more common in women, and this is a very common medical cause of constipation. As always the diagnosis and the management of your specific condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your primary care doctor might be recommended if symptoms persist.