ZocdocAnswersWhat causes the skin around the chin to peel off?

Question

What causes the skin around the chin to peel off?

Why is the skin around my chin peeling off? I'm a guy in my 20s and I shave regularly, so this was pretty noticeable when it began. At first I wasn't too worried but it's getting really bad now. Should I stop shaving? Should I use a moisturizer? Nothing has seemed to help it so far.

Answer

There are many causes for rashes and peeling of the skin on the face. Some of these do require medical evaluation and treatment. The doctors who would be best qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. The most common cause of peeling of the skin on the chin is simply from local irritation. This is more common with frequent shaving and with dry skin, such as occurs with cold weather. Often the solution just requires use of a good facial moisturizer daily and less frequent shaving or switching to a more gentle shaving technique. Occasionally, your skin may be reacting to some new chemical. This is more common if you have recently switched a soap, personal care product, or laundry detergent. Rarely, skin infections such as fungal infections can occur in this location. In these cases the skin is often more reddened, itchy, and scaly. Your doctor will be able to determine if you have an infection. As always, the diagnosis and the management of your specific skin concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. If the symptoms persist, you may want to schedule an office visit with your primary care doctor or dermatologist.