How can one reduce the apperance of stretch marks?

How can a person reduce the appearance of stretch marks? On one hand, I've heard there is no way and that it's all genetic. But I also have friends that swear by coconut oil and other hom remedies to prevent them or make them subside. I don't even really know what a stretch mark is.
Stretch marks are a common concern for many people. The doctors who will be best qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater depth include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. The first step in the treatment of stretch marks is making sure there is not a serious condition that is causing them. For example, in some people an excess of steroid hormones makes the stretch marks appear. Besides these rare serious causes, stretch marks are most common during pregnancy and also in those who are overweight. Losing weight can help to reduce the development of further stretch marks. Simple cosmetic solutions include the application of toning and tanning creams to reduce the color difference. Although these solutions are not permanent, they may be satisfactory for some. If not, then a visit to your dermatologist will be required. Early on, when the stretch marks are still reddish, prescription vitamin A containing creams may help. Later on, laser therapies can change the color of the stretch marks so that they match surrounding skin. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is recommended.

Nearby Dermatologists