ZocdocAnswersWhich bedsheets are best for people with dry skin?

Question

Which bedsheets are best for people with dry skin?

What kind of bedsheets should I use if I have extremely dry skin? I've had a problem with my skin chapping and even cracking and bleeding due to drying out, so I definitely want to use whatever material is easiest and gentlest on my skin. Is there a good type of fabric to shoot for?

Answer

Dry skin is a very common problem for many people, especially in cold weather months. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your dermatologist or your primary care doctor. Dry skin, or chapping, is usually a problem for many people especially during cold weather months. The most important treatments for this condition are protecting and moisturizing the skin, avoiding very hot water and overbathing, and irritating personal care products. The frequent, multiple times per day application of a good moisturizing is probably the most effective treatment. Over the counter steroids or anti-itch creams may also be indicated, as may stronger medicines as determined by your doctor. The role for changing the bedsheets is less obvious. Probably more important than the type of fabric is making sure the sheets are clean and dry at all times. There is some evidence that soft cotton or silk sheets may reduce nighttime itching. There are also a few specialty sheets on the market for people with very sensitive skin, although these have not been tested rigorously to see if they are worse the extra cost for all people. As always the diagnosis and the management of your specific skin concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist might be recommended.