ZocdocAnswersWhat causes painful red bumps on the side of toes?

Question

What causes painful red bumps on the side of toes?

What is causing the painful, red bumps on the sides of my toes? My girlfriend say she thinks they're warts, but they look nothing like warts to me. They're the size of dimes, and they don't have head. Whatever they are, are they contagious? Will they spread to other parts of my body?

Answer

There can be several causes of painful bumps on the feet. The health care providers who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor and your podiatrist. Among the most common cause of painful bumps on the toes are corns. Corns are highly compressed calluses that form on areas of wear on the foot. Wearing well-fitting shoes or inserts to relief compression can help. If not, your podiatrist may advise removing the corn in their office or a topical medication. Plantar warts, which are caused by a viral infection, are also quite common. These warts are circular and very flat on the surface, as they mostly extend deep under the skin. They are treated in a manner similar to corns. Another common causes of red bumps is athlete's foot, which is a fungal infection often found between the toes. This is treated by hygiene, such as keeping the shoes clean and the feet dry and also often with a topical or oral antifungal medication, depending on the advise of your doctor. As always, the diagnosis and the management of your specific condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your primary care doctor or your podiatrist is strongly recommended.