ZocdocAnswersWhat shampoos are best for dealing with oily hair?

Question

What shampoos are best for dealing with oily hair?

What kinds of shampoo are best for oily hair? My hair is so greasy that people sometimes think it's damp, and I'm trying to take care of it. But I'm confused because I read that shampoos dry out your scalp and hair and that excessive hair oil is actually a reaction to that . What should I do?

Answer

Oily hair is a very common medical problem that, fortunately, is generally not a serious problem and that can be treated. If you have particular concerns, your primary care doctor or your dermatologist will be able to discuss them with you. The oil that ends up on hair is actually produced by small oil glands in the scalp. Many people think that oily hairy is therefore caused by an oily scalp. But, actually, it is dryness of the scalp skin that stimulates the production of the oil. Therefore it is important, as you say, to avoid drying out the scalp more, which will make the problem worse. You can do this in the following way: use a shampoo product for oily hair, but avoid rubbing it into the scalp - simply clean off the hair. Similarly, do not scratch or itch your scalp as this can cause more oil production. Sometimes a hot oil treatment can be used to restore moisture to the scalp if these first strategies do not work. Also, avoid overbrushing the hair, as brushing tugs on the oil glands and stimulates the production of more oil. As always, the diagnosis and management of your specific condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. You could schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist.