Is a mushroom-shaped growth on the testicles normal?

Is it normal to have a mushroom-shaped growth on the testicle? I know testicular cancer is a risk, but one the other hand I feel fine other wise. Plus, I had a pretty bad groin injury some time ago, and I think this might just be scar tissue related to that. Could it be, or should I go get xrayed?
There are several causes of growth on the skin of the scrotum and genitals. Some of these do require medical evaluation. The physicians most qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor. Testicular cancer is one of the most common cancers in younger men. Generally, the sign of a testicular cancer is a firm lump within the testicle. Fortunately, it sounds like what you have is actually a growth on the outside in the skin of the scrotum. A common cause of growths in this place is skin tags. They are caused by friction and irritation of the skin and are usually fleshy, elongated, and attached at their base through a narrower stalk. They do not require treatment unless painful. Genital warts are another common cause. Unlike skin tags, genital warts are generally flatter but still fleshy and painless. They can occur on the shaft of the penis or, more rarely, on the scrotum or surrounding skin. These are transmitted sexually, and they can be passed on to a partner. As always, the diagnosis and management of your specific condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office appointment with your primary care doctor is recommended.

• Dr. Harvey Lerner
    Dr. Harvey Lerner MD
    215 East Main Street
    Smithtown, NY 11787
  • Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Richard Ashby
    Dr. Richard Ashby MD
    8330 Richmond Highway
    Alexandria, VA 22309