ZocdocAnswersWhat would cause many skin tags to start growing?

Question

What would cause many skin tags to start growing?

A few years ago I got a skin tag. Iwent to the doctor and she diagnosed it, no problem. But now, this year, I've gotten at least 15 skin tags on all different parts of my body. WHY is this happening is what I want to know. Are they spreading like a virus from the first skin tag? Should I clip them?

Answer

Skin tags are a very common skin disorder that is, fortunately, benign and does not generally involve a serious underlying medical disorder. The doctors who will be well qualified to help you discuss this issue include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. Skin tags, or acrochorda, are fleshy skin growths that most often occur in areas of skin folds such as the neck, armpits, and groin. They can be removed, however they do tend to growth back in other areas of body. Although we do not know exactly what they are caused by, it is probably related to friction of skin layers against each other. It is not related to an infection. There is some evidence that skin tags are more common in people who suffer from obesity, from diabetes, and from the metabolic syndrome. Skin tags to not need to be treated unless they become very unsightly or painful or irritated. In that case it is best for them to be removed by a physician to avoid the risk of infection. As always, the diagnosis and the management of your specific condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your primary care doctor or with your dermatologist is recommended.