What causes calcification in one's thyroid gland?

What exactly is calcification of the thyroid gland, and how is it caused? My doctor just told me I have this, and I don't understand it. Does this problem mean that I'm going to have cancer or some other serious disease? What kind of problems can I expect in the long term, and how will I treat them?
Unfortunately, this is a question for which so much more information is needed to speculate on what you may or may not have. My best guess is that your doctor felt some sort mass or lump and decided to order some imaging (perhaps an ultrasound) of your thyroid gland. After that, your doctor must have seen some areas of calcification. If this is the case, then I may have some answers for you. Thyroid calcifications are a non-specific finding that some kind of process is going on in your thyroid gland. It could be something benign or a small tumor. The first step is to do thyroid function tests to determine if your thyroid gland is working properly. Your doctor may then decide to do a thyroid scan to see if there are any areas that are functioning too much or too little. It may then be recommended that you undergo a fine need aspirations (aka a biopsy) of your thyroid glands. I suggest you schedule an appointment with your doctor that said you have calcifications so that you can get a more complete answer to what the various possibilities are, and a detailed plan on how to proceed with diagnosis. Good luck.