ZocdocAnswers"For hip arthritis, where is the pain often located?"

Question

"For hip arthritis, where is the pain often located?"

Where is the pain usually located in a person who has hip arthritis? I know that I have a family history of arthritis so it's something I'm extremely cautious about - and I'm probably overreeacting, but I have had an ache in my left hip for several days. I'm 43. How would I know if this were arthritis?

Answer

There are several causes of hip pain, some of which require medical treatment. The physicians who will be qualified to discuss this issue with you include our internal medicine doctor or your sports medicine doctor or a physiotherapist. Hip arthritis is a common causes of hip pain. Generally, the pain is gradual and develops over months to years. Often it is worse later in the day or after exercises. The pain generally feels deep, although at times it can radiate to the knee and actually be perceived primarily as knee pain. Strains or sprains of the hip occur quickly, often due to unremembered injuries. These should gradually get better over a few days. Pain specifically over the outside edge of hip may be a condition known as trochanteric bursitis, which is an inflammation of one of the sacs of fluid that sits next to the hip joint. Rarely, pain can be a sign of a hip joint infection. If this pain was sudden in onset and is severe, perhaps with warm and redness over the joint, or with fever, these are concerning signs and would require urgent evaluation. As always, the diagnosis and management of your specific condition will require a physical examination with your personal physician. Scheduling an appointment with your internal medicine doctor is recommended.