ZocdocAnswersAre Seasonique birth control pills and cystitis related?

Question

Are Seasonique birth control pills and cystitis related?

I've been taking Seasonique birth control pills, and so far I haven't had any problems with them. But a few weeks ago, I went to my OBGYN with some problems that she diagnosed and treated as cystitis. It just occurred to me that there could be a connection between this and the birth control. Is that possible?

Answer

Seasonique is a relatively new form of birth control pill which is sometimes associated with side effects. The physicians who will be qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor. Seasonique is a form of birth control pill that results in fewer periods per year; for this reason it is quite popular. Occasionally Seasonique is associated with serious side effects, such as blood clots; more commonly, it is associated with less concerning side effects, such as abdominal pain and breakthrough bleeding. Acute cystitis, also known as a urinary tract infection, is characterized by pain or cramping with urination. It is caused by a bacteria living in the urine, and it is generally treated with a short course of oral antibiotics. Urinary tract infections are very common in young, healthy women and do not generally indicate an underlying serious medical condition. Similarly, there is no good evidence to suggest that Seasonique is associated with the development of urinary tract infections. As always, the diagnosis and management of your specific condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit to discuss the issue with your primary care doctor or OB / GYN doctor may be advisable.