ZocdocAnswersAre liver lesions associated with breast cancer?

Question

Are liver lesions associated with breast cancer?

I had a CT scan recently for an unrelated problem, and my doctor found dark spots on my liver which she said could be a lesion. This is very upsetting to me because I have a family history of breast cancer. If it is a lesion, does that put me at a higher risk of having other types of cancer, like breast cancer?

Answer

This is an example of how we as physicians need to do a better job of communicating with patients when we discover things on different tests. A lesion is a general term that means "an abnormality that we otherwise have not characterized." A lesion could be an infection, an area of inflammation, injury, or a tumor. Most liver tumors that are found on CT scan are benign and not related to breast cancer. Sometimes the way the tumors appear on the scan can help the radiologist determine what it is. If he found multiple lesions on your scan, and it can't be determined what they are, then they may need to be biopsied. If you have a family history of breast cancer, you may require a more intensive level of screening. Make sure that you and your primary care physician are on the same page as to the types of screening modalities that you will undergo with the level of your family history and your age taken into account. I suggest you schedule an appointment with the physician who ordered the CT scan. Ask him or her to go over the results in detail and what they mean. From there, you will know for sure how they relate to the rest of you health. Good luck.