ZocdocAnswersWhat does high blood pressure during pregnancy indicate?

Question

What does high blood pressure during pregnancy indicate?

I'm a pregant woman, 30, in my first trimester. I just took my own blood pressure and found that it's significantly higher than it used to be. Does this signify some kind of serious problem? I know that being pregnant causes all kinds of changes in your bodily systems, so I'm trying to not assume that anything's wrong.

Answer

High blood pressure during pregnancy can be a serious problem requiring medical evaluation and treatment. The doctors best qualified to discuss this issue with you include your OB / GYN doctor. High blood pressure in pregnancy is a serious finding that needs to be evaluated quickly by your physician. High blood pressure can be the first sign of a condition called preeclampsia, which can also include other symptoms, such as headache, blurry vision, abdominal pain, and swelling of the face, hands, or feet. Preeclampsia is a dangerous condition, as it can progress to eclampsia, which can result in seizures, organ damage, and damage to the baby or even death of either the mother or baby. Your physician will likely recheck your blood pressure. If it is elevated or if there are other concerning signs, some basic laboratory tests as well as an ultrasound might be indicated to determine if their are signs of preeclampsia and if they need to be treated with rest, medications, or other treatments as determined by your physician. As always, the diagnosis and management of your specific condition will require a physical examination with your personal physician. Scheduling an appointment with your OB / GYN doctor as soon as possible is strongly recommended.