What is the best treatment for Pityriasis Rosea?

What is the best way to treat pityriasis rosea? My doctor told me that I probably have this, and that it would go away on its own and I didn't need to do anything, but that we could treat the itching if I wanted to. I've decided I do want to treat the itching, but I don't want to go back to the doctor. Can I do this myself? How?
Pityriasis Rosea is a common skin condition that fortunately is usually self-limited and does not result in other serious medical problems. The physicians who are best qualified to talk to you about this condition include your primary care doctor and your dermatologist. As you have been told by your doctor, pityriasis rosea is a benign condition of unclear cause, although it is probably related to a viral infection. The condition spontaneously resolves without complication, although it can provoke severe itching at times. The most important principles of treating the itching associated with pityriasis rosea is to keep the skin moisturized with a high quality personal care product. It is also important to avoid drying out the skin by over-washing or use of very hot water. Over the counter anti-itch creams and over the counter antihistamines can also help. It is important to avoid scratching the spots vigorously, as they may become infected. If these measures do not work, then your doctor may advise stronger prescription creams or pills to reduce the itching and swelling. As always, the diagnosis and management of your specific condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. If you have concerns, you should schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor or dermatologist.