ZocdocAnswersWhat causes blackheads on the underside of a penis?

Question

What causes blackheads on the underside of a penis?

Why would I have blackheads on the underside of my penis? I'm a very clean person, I'm constantly showering and I stay well groomed. But I've definitely been finding more and more pores on the underside of the shaft of my penis with ugly blackheads that are painful to squeeze out. Why is this happening? What can I do to stop it?

Answer

While the underside of the penis is an unusual place to find blackheads, any place you have skin which has hair follicles, there is a potential for different forms of acne to sporadically appear. The first person you should approach about this is your family doctor or internal medicine physician. He or she may decide that you warrant seeing a dermatologist for this problem. Blackheads are also known as open comedones. They are caused by a pore or hair follicle that closes down from keratin like material getting stuck. Sebum (a natural human oil) is produced in the pore and cannot get out. When exposed to the air, the sebum turns a darker color giving blackheads the "dirty" kind of look. Contrary to popular belief, blackheads are not caused by being dirty in that area. My suggestion is that you schedule an appointment with you primary care physician. He or she will be able to examine the blackheads an be able to tell for sure that they are actually open comedones. If this is the case, there are some mild creams that can be used on that area that your physician can prescribe. I would not buy anything over the counter to use on that area until you consult with your physician.