Is weight loss more difficult during menopause?

My weight has never been entirely stable, but I can usually get it under control if I work towards it. But it seems like ever since I hit menopause, my weight is just impossible to control. Is this my imagination, or a real effect of menopause? If it is, what can I do to help fight that symptom and get back down to my target weight?
After menopause, there are large changes that have occurred in your body including drops in levels of estrogen and progesterone. While these hormones do not directly effect your metabolism, they can act in other ways to indirectly effect it. In addition, as you age, you metabolism will begin to slow down. if you do not match this change with exercise to burn calories, or reduction in calorie intake, you will gain weight. Most likely, you will need to make some permanent alterations in both your total calorie intake and your weekly exercise regimen. This may include adding more plant based foods into your diet and less bread, meat, and dairy products. Be sure to consult with your physician before making any major change in your diet. This is the only way to reverse this trend of weight gain. I suggest you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician to discuss your weight. Together to two of you can come up with an appropriate diet and exercise plan that may be able to reverse this trend that take into account your personal past medical history. He or she may then refer you to a nutritionist who can dive into the details of your diet. Good luck.