ZocdocAnswersHow does one treat a painless growth on the penis?

Question

How does one treat a painless growth on the penis?

I have a painless growth on my penis. What should I do about it? It's a small tab the same color as my skin, and it doesn't hurt or itch. It seems like I should be able to just clip it off myself (it's pretty small, maybe 1/16 of an inch), but I don't want to cause a larger problem. Is this the sort of thing I should see a doctor about?

Answer

The quick answer is that you should never try to remove any kind of growth from yourself (especially on your genitals) without first consulting with a qualified health care physician. Painless, stable (not changing) growths on the penis can be one of a few things. For example, it could be just a skin tag that needs to be left alone, or removed if you feel it is bothering you. Genital warts are a very common sexually transmitted infection of the virus HPV. They produce painless growths on the genitals that have a pearly appearance to them. These should be removed either cryogenically (freezing the off) or with a medicated cream that allows the body's immune system to attack the virus in the wart. There are other possible infections that can produce painless growths on the penis that can be considered by your doctor depending on its appearance. I suggest you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a look at your growth and give you a formal diagnosis. If it is something that can be removed in the office, then you could safety have it clipped or frozen off. If it is found to be a wart, then it might be treatable using a medicated cream. Good luck.