Click to book now:

What over-the-counter medicines help with vertigo?

Are there over-the-counter medicins for treating vertigo? I'm a youngish guy dealing with chronic vertigo. I self diagnosed, and up until now I've been able to just live with it but it does seem to be getting worse. But I can't find any over-the-counter medicines for it. Are there any, or is this something I'd have to go to a doctor for?
Vertigo can be a very distressing symptom to have and should always be investigated by a qualified health care professional. A more urgent evaluation is needed for vertigo that is worsening or that which is associated with other symptoms such as hearing loss or headache. The treatments for vertigo depend on the cause. The most common cause of vertigo in adults is Benign Positional Vertigo (BPV). Attacks usually come when the body is moved in a specific position or direction. Hearing changes generally aren't seen and symptoms tend to stay stable or get better. Treatment is with vestibular exercises and anti-nausea medicines such as meclizine (also known as Antivert). Other causes such as Meniere's disease are treated with diuretics such as lasix. Tumors in the brain or inner ear are treated differently. There are no good over the counter medications for any cause of vertigo. I think you will need to schedule an appointment with a general practitioner such as and internal medicine physician. I am most concerned that you have worsening vertigo that I believe that needs looked at. While it is true most causes of vertigo are benign, some rare causes can be a serious problem. Good luck.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!