ZocdocAnswersWhat causes skin growths to occur near the elbows?

Question

What causes skin growths to occur near the elbows?

What conditions cause skin growths on or near the elbows? I don't think I've ever had a wart before, though I have had a bump on my knee for a few years that's not going away. Could they be warts is they?re not discolored at all?

Answer

Skin problems are a common cause of concern. As it is not possible to diagnose your condition without seeing your skin it is important for you to see your primary care provider or a dermatologist to have a full evaluation and receive appropriate treatment. However, from what you have described there are a few possibilities for your skin growths. Warts are extremely common and therefore a likely cause of your symptoms. Warts are skin colored, benign, round or oval growths that are caused by a virus. They are usually hard and feel rough. They can occur anywhere on the body but are more common on the hands, feet, knees and elbows. Warts can last for months to years and are sometimes very difficult to treat but there are many options available and sometimes warts resolve on their own. Another possibility for the growths on your knee and elbows are dermatofibromas. They are hard benign lumps that are brown-red and are thought to be caused by a reaction to a minor injury such as a bug bite or a splinter. If your growths are skin colored and resemble a piece of small hanging skin you might have skin tags. These are harmless skin growths that occur at areas of friction.