What causes white flakes to appear around the face?

Why am I getting white flakes showing up around my face? I'm a guy in my late 20s and I've always taken pretty good care of my skin - shower once a day, shave with moisturizing lotion, etc - but recently this tiny white flakes just seem to be popping off of my skin.
Skin concerns are one of the most common reasons that people seek medical advice. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss the issue with you include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. The most common cause of flaking skin is simply dryness, especially in cold weather months. You may want to limit your use of hot water, as this will dry out the skin more. You may also consider applying a separate facial moisturizing cream daily in addition to shaving with a moisturizing shaving cream. If this does not work you may consider other causes. Sometimes a sensitivity to a new cleaning product (soap, laundry detergent) can create an inflammation of the skin. Sometimes a condition called seborrheic dermatitis can develop in the hairline, forehead, eyebrows and nose creases. This condition is characterized by itching, scaling skin, and small raised areas. Using a dandruff shampoo will help, as will applying an over the counter steroid cream such as hydrocortisone for a few days. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist is advised.