How much laser hair treatment is necessary to permanently get rid of a beard?

How much laser therapy would it take to completely and permanently get rid of a beard? I am a transitioning M to F transgendered person and I am weighing my options. I only have thin, sparse facial hair anyway. How long would the procedure take? How much would it cost?
The principle of laser hair removal is that a high energy pulse of laser is delivered to the base of the hair shafts. This causes the hair follicles to die off slowly, meaning that they will not grow back. Laser hair treatments are permanent, in other words. The amount of laser hair treatment that is needed is quite individual, and you will have to discuss the issue with a cosmetologist to get a better sense of the total cost. Factors involved obviously include the total amount of hair, which in your case seems to be not much. However, laser removal is also more effective in those with lighter skin tones and lighter hair. So if you have darker hair or skin, more treatments may be necessary. Removal always requires several sessions, with each session costing perhaps as much as $500 but this is quite variable. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your dermatologist might be advised.