What causes the skin around the eyebrows to flake?

What makes the skin around the eyebrows flake? This is happening to me, and for a while I just thought I was overdrying my face with the acne cleanser I use. So I quit using that product, and have also tried others in substitute, but my skin is still flaking and peeling. Why?!
There are many causes for peeling and flaking of skin near the eyebrows and some of these do require medical evaluation and treatment. The doctors who are best qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor and your dermatologist. A common cause of flaking of the skin around the eyebrows is, as you say, dry skin. This should respond to consistent, multiple times per day application of a moisturizer and switching to a more gentle acne treatment such as using a gentle product with microbeads instead of a chemical cleanser. If this does not work, it is possible you have seborrheic dermatitis, which is an inflammation of skin in this region of the hairline and forehead, which is characterized by flaking, itching, and scaling of the skin. The treatment is different from dry skin, and involves a dandruff shampoo and perhaps an over the counter steroid cream. Rarely fungal infections of the skin may cause similar symptoms and may require treatment with an over the counter cream or a prescription medicine. As always, the diagnosis and the management of your particular skin concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist might be advised.

Nearby Dermatologists