What are the best ointments to help treat sunspots?

Are there good ointments or lotions for treating sun spots? I'm a 53 year old woman and I've got a pretty noticeable sun spot on my upper cheek. I've been trying to treat my skin well just using anti-ageing creams and such, but now I would like specifically to target the sun spot.
Treatments for sun damaged areas of the skin and age spots are one of the most common reasons that people talk to their doctors. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. The most important first step in treating sun spots is to prevent further damage to the skin! This includes daily use of a good skin moisturizer, avoiding prolonged further exposure to direct sunlight, and always using a good sun screen lotion when outdoors. There are numerous bleaching creams that are available for spots, both over the counter and by prescription. Some of these can be irritating to the skin and may actually cause damage to the underlying tissue. Facial massage or chemical peels, such as those that are available at a spa, can leave the skin more toned and youthful appearing, which can diminish the appearance of the spots. Finally, your dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon may be able to perform microabrasion therapy or laser spot therapy more specifically focused on the spots that are most concerning to you. As always, the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist is highly recommended.