ZocdocAnswersDoes laser treatment near the pubic region have any side effects?

Question

Does laser treatment near the pubic region have any side effects?

I'd like to get laser hair removal in my pubic region, but I can't find much information about possible side effects. Those tissues seem so sensitive that they could be damaged easily. Is there a chance of this? Is it possible the lasers could penetrate deeper than they're suposed to?

Answer

More and more, people are opting for laser hair removal and other more permanent methods of altering their body hair patterns. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor and your dermatologist. The principle of laser hair removal is that a high energy pulse of laser is delivered to the base of the hair shafts. This causes the hair follicles to die off slowly, meaning that they will not grow back. In other words, laser hair removal is permanent. Laser hair removal is easier in those with light hair and skin tones. If your hair and skin are darker, higher energy laser will be required and perhaps more treatments will be necessary. Laser hair removal requires several sessions, usually 4 or 5, at a cost of up to $500 or more per treatment. So the total cost can be high. The side effects are very minimal. After each treatment, the skin may feel or look sunburned, but this will improve after a few days. As always, the diagnosis and the management of your particular skin concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist is advised.