What causes skin tags to grow on one's inner thigh?

What causes skin tags to grow on a person's inner thigh? I'm a healthy guy in my 30s and I've never really had any kind of skin problems before, which makes this all the more alarming. In the last year or so, I've had skin tags sprouting up and moving toward my groin area. What should I do?
Skin tags are one of the most common skin complaints and, fortunately, they are rarely serious. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. Skin tags, or acrochorda, are benign fleshy growths of skin. They tend to occur in the crease areas of the body, such as the neck, groin, and armpits. Although it is not clear why they develop, it is thought that it is probably related to friction in these skin areas. Sometimes skin tags are associated with being overweight, or having diabetes or prediabetes. Therefore exercise and watching your weight can be helpful. There is generally no need to treat skin tags. Occasionally, however, they become irritated or cause bleeding. If this happens to you, you could discuss their removal with your doctor. Removing skin tags is a simple office procedure. You should not try to remove them yourself, as they could become infected. After removal, however, they do tend to continue to crop up in the same areas. As always, the diagnosis and management of your particular skin complaint will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an appointment with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist might be recommended.

Nearby Dermatologists

• Dr. Barney Kenet
    Dr. Barney Kenet MD
    25 East 86th Street
    New York, NY 10028
  • Dr. Jane Moore
    Dr. Jane Moore MD
    5565 Blaine Ave E
    Inver Grove Heights, MN 55076
  • Dr. Ellen Burov
    Dr. Ellen Burov MD
    1317 Third Avenue
    New York, NY 10021