ZocdocAnswersWhat signs indicate an allergic reaction to makeup?

Question

What signs indicate an allergic reaction to makeup?

What are the signs of an allergic reaction to makeup? I sometimes get prettty bad redness and itching on my face and it does seem to coincide with nights when I wear more makeup. But I've also never really had sensitive skin, so if this could just be normal, I don't want to give up on makeup.

Answer

Having a reaction to something you wear everyday can be quite distressing. The type of physician you would want to see for this problem would be a family doctor, a dermatologist, or an allergist. Allergic reactions to topical agents such as cosmetics can cause redness, itching, and swelling. Often it is not due to the whole concoction that is the make up but rather just one small component of it. For this reason, patients that are "allergic" to makeup are typically only allergic to one brand with a specific compound in it. For this reason, you could try a different brand of makeup and see if you develop a similar reaction. If you don't then your problem may be solved. If you still develop the reaction, then you'll have to see which compounds are similar between the two brands. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician as soon as you can. You don't want to continue to go through discomfort every time you wear more makeup than usual. If your reaction is severe enough, then it may warrant referral to an allergist or dermatologist for further evaluation and treatment. Good luck.