ZocdocAnswersHow should a pregnant woman's skin care routine change?

Question

How should a pregnant woman's skin care routine change?

How should the skin care routing or a woman change when she gets pregnant? My wife is newly pregnant, and I'm trying to do research to help her cope with the changes, but I can't find any one clear plan for dealing with the ongoing hormonal impacts of pregnany on the skin. Is there a consensus?

Answer

First, let me say congratulations. Having a healthy, uncomplicated pregnancy is every couple's dream. Make sure to involve your wife's doctor in every aspect of it so that he or she can take care of your wife at an optimal level. There are no absolute recommended skin care routines for women that are pregnant. While pregnancy can be associated with many skin changes, the most common are the linea nigra (dark line down the center of woman's abdomen) and stretch marks. Stretch marks are the most concerning to women. Some studies suggest that using various types of lotions on the belly daily can help prevent them. Discuss this issue with your doctor before starting any. I suggest that you go with your wife to her next appointment with your OBGYN that will be delivering the new baby. Write down a list of questions you have about the best things to do for your wife's health and the health of the fetus. Skin care is just one on a long list of things you should consider doing. Remember, do not try any of the so called herbal or natural remedies without first checking with her OBGYN. Many of these products contain hundreds of untested chemicals with unknown effects on the body. Good luck.