ZocdocAnswersIs there a way to remove brown spots from one's face?

Question

Is there a way to remove brown spots from one's face?

What is the best way for a person to remove brown spots from their face? My doctor said they were what people call 'liver spots' which I feel I'm too young to have, as I'm only in my 30s. She wasn't very forthcoming about the best way (if there is any) to get rid of them or at least diminish them.

Answer

For many people the appears of aging spots on the face is very distressing. You may wish to discuss this issue in great detail with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. The first step in the treatment of age-related spots on the face is to make sure they are not something more serious, such as skin cancer. Any dark spots that look like moles but that are greater than 6 mm with irregular borders or multiple colors should be investigated, as well as any clear or pink spots that are raised, growing in size, or bleeding. The next step is to prevent further skin damage! This requires keeping your face well moisturized, daily application of sun screen, and avoiding further exposure to strong direct sunlight! Sometimes, bleaching creams are recommended on TV or the internet. These should generally be avoiding as they cause more skin damage with their harsh chemicals. Finally, your dermatologist may recommend laser therapy for some spots, which will shrink the size and lighten the color of some spots. Multiple sessions are usually required, and the treatment can be expensive. As always, the diagnosis and the management of your specific condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with a dermatologist may be recommended.