ZocdocAnswersIs a rash between the eyebrows a sign of psoriasis?

Question

Is a rash between the eyebrows a sign of psoriasis?

Is it a sign of psoriasis for a person to develop a rash between their eyebrows? My doctor has told me before to keep an eye out for psoriasis due to certain problems saw her about (I'm in my 30s now), but I don't remember her warning me about this. I've never had skin problems in that spot before.

Answer

Psoriasis is a common autoimmune disease of the skin that can affect up to two percent of the American population. It is typically a chronic condition that flares and then goes into periods of relative remission. Several subtypes of psoriasis exist, with the most common form being the classic plaque-forming rash. This form most often presents as rough and scaly red patches that tend to thicken over time and develop a characteristic silvery-white appearance. The patches commonly arise on the extensor surfaces of the joints, including the back of the elbows and front of the knees. However, the rash can first present anywhere on the body, including the buttocks, scalp, and back. Psoriasis can also involve the nails (causing small indentations in the nail plate) and can sometimes cause inflammation of the joints, including swelling of the fingers and toes. While the area between the eyebrows is not a "classic" location for the appearance of psoriasis, it is certainly not impossible. It would be advisable to present to your primary care physician who can examine your skin and refer you to a dermatologist if needed to confirm or rule out this diagnosis.