ZocdocAnswersWhat causes foreheads to break out in small red bumps?

Question

What causes foreheads to break out in small red bumps?

Why would a man's forehead break out in small, red bumps? I've never seen anything quite like this before, and I'm in my early 30s. I did have some trouble with acne when I was a teen, but that has pretty much been cleared up ever since, and this doesn't look anything like whiteheads. What are they?

Answer

Rashes on the face can have many causes, and some of them do require medical evaluation and treatment. The doctors who can discuss this issue with you include your primary care physician or your dermatologist. A common cause of rashes on the forehead is an allergic or contact reaction. This is a form of skin irritation, and it is often caused by the exposure to a new personal care product such as a shampoo or soap. Another possibility is seborrheic dermatitis, which is an inflammation of the 'greasy' parts of the skin such as the hairline, forehead, and scalp. It is often quite itchy and sometimes scaly. Good hygiene and a dandruff shampoo are often enough to clear it up, although some cases do require medical attention. Folliculitis, or infection of the hair shafts in the skin, is another possibility. This sometimes occurs during periods of exercise and sweating, or when the skin becomes clogged with dirt particles. Most cases will clear up with good hygiene, although some will require evaluation by a doctor. As always the diagnosis and the management of your specific skin concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist is recommended if symptoms persist.