What causes water blisters to form on the hands and feet?

What causes water blisters to form on a person's hands and feet? Blisters have been cropping up on my palms and on the soles of my feet, but not in any way that I can relate to friction, my shoes, etc. Is there a disease that causes these kinds of blisters, or is my skin just more sensitive than most?
There are several different causes of water blisters on the skin, some of which require medical attention. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. Water blisters form when the layers of the skin separate and fluid collects. The most common cause of these is friction, for example from a new pair of shoes. The fact that they occur on your palms makes this less likely. Another possibility is sweating or too much moisture of the skin, which can cause too much softening of the skins protective layer leading to blisters. Keeping the skin of the hands and feets clean and dry can help. Another possibility is a reaction to some chemical or element in the environment or drug. Common causes include new cleaning products, bath soaps, or laundry detergents, or antibiotics Finally, some rare but serious skin reactions can cause blistering. If the blisters are very large or coalescing or if you notice them in your mouth they should be checked out as soon as possible. As always, the diagnosis and management of your specific skin concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist is recommended if the symptoms persist.