ZocdocAnswersCan cleaning products irritate the skin enough to cause a rsah?

Question

Can cleaning products irritate the skin enough to cause a rsah?

I've been wiping down my mirrors and windows with a spray cleanser and without using gloves (stupid, I know), and now my hands are breaking out in a painful and tingly rash. Is this possibly the cleanser I was using? I didn't get much of it on me and it's a 'natural' brand, so this doesn't really compute.

Answer

There are many causes of irritation and rash on the skin, and some of them do require medical treatment. The doctors who are well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. The short answer to your question is yes! The most common cause of skin rashes is chemical irritation from cleaning or personal care products. This is a strong possible due to the close time association with the use of the product. The rash should get better over the next few days but may require medical attention if it does not. In the future, using gloves to protect your skin whenever you handle any cleaning product is advisable. Another less likely possibility is eczema, which is a condition provoked by unnatural dryness of the skin. The is more common as cold weather sets in and the skin dries out. Usually, however, there is a personal history of eczema already. The treatment of eczema generally involves keeping the skin moisturized. As always the diagnosis and management of your specific skin concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. If the symptoms persist scheduling an office visit with your primary care doctor is advised.