How do people with dry skin get rid of blackheads?

What's the best way for people with dry skin to get rid of blackheads? I have tried using those pore strips, but my skin is so dry and sensitive that the strips just tore off a layer of skin and left me with an awful abrasion that took a long time to heal. Is there any alternative or am I stuck with blackheads?
Removing blackheads can at times be more challenging for those with sensitive skin, but there are some solutions! Your may discuss this issue in more detail with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. Blackheads are a form of acne (open comedones) that occurs when the pores of the skin become clogged with skin debris. Therefore the mainstay of treatment involves removing and preventing the formation of this debris. Unfortunately, many treatments such as benzoyl peroxide and other 'comedonolytics' as well as pore strips can be hard on sensitive skin. There are alternatives, however. Beginning with the daily use of a mild facial soap is probably the first step. You can follow this up with a 'exfoliating' treatment, such as a product that contains microbeads. With these products it is the texture rather than the harsh chemicals that removes the dead skin. Finally, you could follow all of this up with a good skin protectant. For example, when you are in the sun make sure to use a good sun screen lotion. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular skin complaint will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist might be recommended.

Nearby Dermatologists