Why do whiteheads take longer than blackheads to disappear?

Why do my whiteheads take so much longer than my blackheads to finally heal up and disappear? Until now I've been treating them as if they'r eequal problems, but now I'm starting to think that since whiteheads seem to fully and completely heal, that I should treat them as a more serious problem. Is am I thinking about this correctly?
Whiteheads and blackheads are some of the most common skin complaints and there is often confusion about how they differ. If you would like to discuss this issue in greater detail, your primary care doctor or your dermatologist would be available. Both whiteheads and blackheads are types of acne. Whiteheads, or closed comedones, result with a pore clogs up and dead debris, pus, and bacteria collect behind it. Blackheads, or open comedones, are when a pore clogs up, but does not entirely close off, therefore pus and bacteria do not collect. The treatment for both whiteheads and blackheads is the same and involves good facial hygiene and comedonolytics, such as products that contain benzoyl peroxide, to remove skin debris. Possibly, whiteheads may take longer to heal because they are more unsightly; therefore they are more likely to be picked at, which increases inflammation and delays healing or even causes infection. If whiteheads are left alone, and treated as described above, then they should heal at the same rate as blackheads. As always, the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your primary care doctor might be recommended.

Nearby Dermatologists