Book now. It's free!

Dry Skin - What is the best way to treat blackheads without drying out sensitive skin?

Is there a good way to get rid of blackheads without drying out sensitive skin? I have blackheads on the really tender skin of my T-zone, and I'm already prone to dry skin. It seems like a lot of the treatments out there for blackheads just involve drying out the skin which I worry would make my problem even WORSE. What's my best option?
Blackheads are one of the most common skin conditions, and they can be more difficult to treat in people with very sensitive skin. The doctors who would be able to discuss this issue with you in more detail include your primary care doctor and your dermatologist. Blackheads, or open comedones, are a type of acne caused when pores become distended with dead skin debris. Therefore, the basis of treating blackheads is simply removing this skin debris. Often, this involves exfoliating creams or comedonolytics such as benzoyl peroxide which can be quite irritating to the skin. A milder regimen for sensitive skin, that does not involve so many chemicals, would include a daily wash of the face with a very mild facial soap. You could try using a nonchemical exfoliating product (such as a product with microbeads) to try to remove skin debris without using harsh chemicals and drying the skin. Finally, make sure to protect your skin when you are in the sun with a good sun screen, and always avoid picking at the blackheads as this will cause infection or delay healing. As always, the diagnosis and the management of your specific skin condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an appointment with your primary care doctor is advised.
Find doctors and make appointments online!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)