ZocdocAnswersWhy do blackheads form around the T-Zone?

Question

Why do blackheads form around the T-Zone?

Why do I have such a bad blackhead problem in the ""T Zone"" (nose, between the eyes, forehead)? It's so annoying because that's the most delicate skin so any attempt to get rid of the blackheads usually leaves a bad mark.

Answer

Blackheads are a common condition. They however can be treated. If you are having significant trouble with blackhead I would recommend you see your primary care doctor or a dermatologist (skin specialist) who could help you deal with this. To start, blackheads (or open comedones as they are medically known) are caused by clogging of pores. The skin has sebaceous glands, which produce sebum. Sebum is an oily substance that the small glands make to lubricate the hair follicles. If clogged, then the glands fill with the sebum and appear black-- thus giving rise to blackheads. As for why they appear in this area that is known as the " T Zone," it is simply because this is an area with a lot of small fine hairs. In addition, the fine movements and creases of the skin make it more likely that the pores will clog. That being said, any part of the body can (and often does) have them. There are numerous treatments for this. Of note, popping the blackheads is not recommended as this can result is small scars and abscesses--this may be your problem. The first line therapy is an over the counter wash. A key ingredient is salicylic acid--which helps open the blackheads. In addition, good hygiene is important. If you continue to have problems I would recommend seeing a dermatologist. Good luck!