ZocdocAnswersWhat does canida nail infection look like?

Question

What does canida nail infection look like?

How do you diagnose a candida nail infection? I have a swollen, discolored area on one of my fingernails, and I have on idea how to compare this to other kinds of infections, but candida is sort of my best guess at this point.

Answer

Candida is a type of fungus. Fungi very commonly cause infections of the nails, termed onychomycosis. Candida is not one of the most common species of fungus associated with nail infections, so it may be more likely that another fungal species is the cause of your nail infection Generally, nail infections are caused by fungi picked up in moist environments like the shower stall or gym locker. The fungus grows under and inside the nail and results in thickening of the nail, together with yellowing or other color changes and sometimes major distortion of the nail. There can be an odor, but not always. Candida, specifically, is most commonly associated with infection of the nail when it begins as infection of the cuticle or tissue around the nail, called paronychia. This causes the tissue to become red, tender, and inflamed and then the Candida can migrate under the nail and also cause a nail infection. Usually Candida is passed to the paronychia from the mouth, from chewing or biting of the nails and cuticles. Fungal infections of the nails are difficult to treat. They usually require prescription medications, which your primary care doctor or your dermatologist will be happy to set you up with.