ZocdocAnswersAre whiteheads the same as genital warts?

Question

Are whiteheads the same as genital warts?

I'm trying to figure this out- are genital warts basically just the same thing as whiteheads on your genitals? I get these bumps that come and go and they don't really bother me - but I don?t have to act like I've got an std, do I?

Answer

Whiteheads are caused when skin pores become clogged closed by dead skin and other debris leading to the build up of skin oils and bacteria which create a thick white material which can be expressed by squeezing. Whiteheads can become inflamed and are often tender or painful. Genital warts on the other hand are flat irregular skin growths attached usually on a wide base to the skin underneath. Warts are painless and they do not contain any white material. They also do not have hairs in them. Importantly, they do not 'come and go' in the same way as whiteheads. If this does not clear up the question for you, it is important to remember that genital warts are highly contagious and that they should be treated if present to prevent passing them to a sexual partner. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is advised.