ZocdocAnswersDoes the Fraxel treatment work on men?

Question

Does the Fraxel treatment work on men?

Does the Fraxel treatment work on men? I had pretty bad acne damage done to my skin in my youth, and now that I'm in my late 20s I'm really wanting to be rid of it. I've just only heard of Fraxel for women and I know guys' skin is different.

Answer

Acne scarring is a very common problem for both men and women but, fortunately, there are multiple options that you can use to address your acne. Also, fortunately, there are no real gender differences between men or women in terms of the effectiveness of the various acne treatments. Treatments should be tailored to the type and severity of the scars, and other factors such as cost of course play a role. Additionally, for the laser-based treatments like Fraxel skin color can influence the intensity of therapy. But, once again, none of these factors has anything to do with gender! When thinking about treating your acne scars, the best first step is to discuss your options with your dermatologist. Some types of scarring are only amenable to surgical treatment, especially 'ice pick' type scars. However, most other types of scarring can be treated with a smoothing regimen. Smoothing regimens can include chemical peels, dermal microabrasion, and various forms of laser treatment (including Fraxel). Basically, all of these smoothing treatments work by causing some irritation or damage of the skin, which stimulates new skin growth and collagen remodeling. They vary in cost, effectiveness, risk of infection and other complications, and downtime due to skin healing time.