What causes ingrown pubic hairs?

Some of my pubic hairs at the base of my penis are almost always getting ingrown. I soak them in hot water and squeeze them out, but they always just seem to come back. What is causing this to happen, and how can I get them to go away for good?
In grown hairs are one of the most common skin conditions. Fortunately, they are rarely serious. However the doctors who are qualified to discuss this issue with you in detail include your dermatologist or your primary care doctor. In grown hairs are a condition caused when a hair curls back on itself and grows back down the hair shaft. The result is blocking of the shaft and inflammation and build up of pus. They are most common in those with curly hair and in repeatedly shaved areas. They are equally common in the pubic region and on the face and armpits. One simple treatment if desirable is to shave less often, if shaving of your pubic region might be contributing. Additionally, since the development of an in grown hair is similar to the development of acne, many common acne treatment will work. This includes good exfoliating skin regimens, as well as the application of treatments designed to break up the skin debris, such as benzoyl peroxide. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular skin condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor might be advised.

Nearby Dermatologists