ZocdocAnswersCan you get blackheads from kissing?

Question

Can you get blackheads from kissing?

I'm kind of reluctant about kissing my boyfriend ever since he started getting really bad blackheads on his chin. What can I do to make sure that I don't get blackheads from him? Is there a product he can use that will keep them from spreading?

Answer

Blackheads are a common condition. If you or your boyfriend are having troubles or concerns with blackheads I would encourage you to discuss this with your doctor. There are medications and treatments can be used to treat the condition. A dermatologist (skin specialist) could be helpful if you have more questions. In general, one cannot get blackheads from kissing. They are not infectious or communicable. Blackhead, or open comedones, is a form of acne. The body's skin is full of sebaceous glands which produce sebum or an oily substance that lubricates the hair follicles. Clogging of these glands or pores can result in blackheads. The black appearance comes from dirt that is collected and the way the the oils reflect light. This is something that your body naturally develops, especially in naturally oily areas of your body (such as the nose creases and genitalia). Therefore, this should not be transferred from one person to another with contact. To help prevent blackheads, good hygeine is important. There are many over the counter medications that can also help. Washes containg salicyclic acid can help "open up" these comedones. These can be used to help prevent spread. I would encourage you to talk to your doctor or a dermatologist if you have more questions.